Updated August 24, 2017
In case you don’t know, the Call Committee consists of:
Jan Johnson Congregational President
Steve Trojacek Trustee
Caroline Osborne Board of Christian Education Member
Larry Foltz Elder and Financial Secretary
Mark Woolley Elder
Steve Grissom Elder and Congressional Vice President
Highlight of Actions: Proposed Agenda for the Call Committee was presented and discussed:
- Jan is chairing the Call Committee
- Mark is the Recording Secretary
- All members will participate as we step through the procedure to develop call recommendations that we will place in front of the congregation for discussion and a vote.
- Steve G developed a contact document with questions we will ask the supply pastors for consistency in what we ask them.
- Jan and Steve G developed a scheduling spreadsheet to assist in keeping track of pastors who have committed to provide Pulpit Supply.
There is a lot of competition for Supply Pastors. So far we have only been able to get 4 or 5 to commit. Many are already committed as vacancy pastors at other churches. We are hopeful that as vacation season winds down, there may be more available to St. Paul.
We have met with the circuit visitor (formerly known as “district counselor”) and the MMF (Mission and Ministry Facilitator) in early August to discuss the call process as it relates to the St. Paul congregation.
There were several options discussed for filling our vacancy. Each of these have their challenges:
- Full Time Pastor (would increase the budget by over $50, 000/Yr. minimum. This option would require a significant increase in giving from each member but is the favored solution to the vacancy.)
- Shared Parish (requires another parish in vacancy to agree, requires changes in church operation – worship schedule for one or both churches.)
- Seminary Graduate (Not enough available – 150 requests for 100 graduates)
- Vicar (One year or less commitment to St. Paul.)
- Retired Pastor looking for a smaller church to serve.
- Lay (colloquy) Pastor (Needs a willing member that is called to serve as pastor and would be willing to train.)
We are currently waiting for the Circuit Visitor to provide feedback to the Call Committee on the status of his discussions with other vacant parishes in the circuit. If non are willing to share then that option is off of the table for St. Paul.
Elder Steve – webmaster